We are proud to announce our 2014 report on adblocking in partnership with Adobe (press release here). This report reveals for the first time the actual facts concerning the size and growth of adblocking, including an analysis of the demographics of adblockers and a survey of adblock user attitudes in the United States. It has taken a mammoth effort from team members at PageFair and Adobe to compile, analyse and present this data. We believe that we have uncovered a major threat to the digital media industry, and hope that this report will help mobilise advertisers, publishers, and technology providers to form an appropriate and constructive response.
Blocking web ads is 'as bad as Napster', says data firm http://t.co/a6jwPsu73b
— Guardian Tech (@guardiantech) September 9, 2014
- There are about 144 million active adblock users around the world. Tweet
- Adblock usage grew by nearly 70% between June 2013 – June 2014.Tweet
- Growth is driven by Google Chrome, on which adblock penetration nearly doubled between June 2013 – June 2014.
- Adblock usage varies by country. In some countries nearly one quarter of the online population has it installed.
- Adblock usage is driven by young internet users. 41% of 18-29 year olds polled said they use adblock. Tweet
- Adblock usage is higher with males, but female usage is still very significant.
- A majority of adblockers expressed some willingness to receive less intrusive ad formats (however they strongly rejected intrusive ad formats such as interstitials and popovers).
If you are worried that adblock may be affecting your business, you can get an instant free audit of your website traffic by signing up with us. You can then choose to use PageFair Ads to show adblock-appropriate advertising to your adblock visitors. If you want to discuss this matter in person, please feel free to get in touch. You can also find us at Dmexco 2014 (10th & 11th September) in Hall 6 at booth F.023.